Saginaw Valley Chapter
President: Mike Mauer email@example.com
Vice President: Ken Kosidlo
Secretary: Theresa Breza
Treasurer: Jim Gatza
First Thursday of the month at 7:30 PM at the Castle Museum of Saginaw County History, 500 Federal Ave, Saginaw, MI.
Visitors are welcome.
March 6, 2014: Dr. Sarah Surface-Evans will present “Lighting the Way in the Straits: Insights from the McGulpin Point Lighthouse Barn”.
The McGulpin Point lighthouse was commissioned in 1869 and served as the first light station on the Lower Peninsula guiding ships through the important Straits region. McGulpin Point operated for nearly 40 years until it was supplanted by the Mackinaw Point lighthouse. Recent investigation of the lighthouse barn structure by Central Michigan University is providing significant insights into the lives of the keepers of McGulpin Point lighthouse and their families. These results are proving instrumental in planning the restoration of the light station by the current owners, Emmet County.
Please note the time change for this meeting. It begins at 6:30 PM at the Castle Museum in Saginaw.
Volunteer field/lab opportunities at digs conducted by chapter members:
Waterous Site: Located in Grand Blanc, MI, this predominantly historic site dates to the 1830’s and also has a Middle Woodland prehistoric component. Contact Don Simons at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Please check the Fieldwork page for more information on these dig/lab opportunities as well as others around the state.
Fellow Chapter Member Robert Hoppe had the forethought to record several programs from the late 1980’s to early 1990’s. He has made them available for viewing on DVD by MAS members upon checkout at the Castle Museum. Click here for a list of programs available.