THUNDER BAY NATIONAL MARINE SANCTURAY HOSTS ALTERNATIVE BREAK WEEKEND
April 5-6, 2014 – ALPENA, MI – Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary is proud to host an Alternative Break Weekend from Central Michigan University. Over the course of the weekend, 12 students will volunteer over 180 service hours in shipwreck artifact conservation and documentation, visitor outreach, archival records management and interpretive display maintenance. State Maritime Archaeologist Wayne Lusardi has hand-selected dozens of artifacts to be conserved and documented in the laboratory. Students will also be invited to research these artifacts and have the opportunity to be published in the sanctuary’s e-newsletter Thunderstruck. See full article at: http://mobile.thealpenanews.com/page/wap.idetail/id/528932/Sanctuary-to-host-alternative-break-weekend-for-CMU-students.html?nav=5004
NAPOLEON TWP SUPERVISOR PUTS JACKSON COUNTY ON THE MAP WITH ARTIFACTS COLLECTION FEATURED IN STATE CALENDAR
October 22, 2013 – NAPOLEON TWP, MI – “Napoleon Township Supervisor Dan Wymer is bringing statewide attention to parts of Jackson County known for its prehistoric wonders. For more than 50 years, Wymer has been peeling back the layers of time uncovering thousands of American Indian artifacts. He was recently chosen to display some of his pieces in the Michigan Archaeological Society's 2014 calendar. This is a first for Wymer, 63, who has been collecting artifacts in the area since he was 11 years old.” See the entire article by Lisa Satayut at http://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/index.ssf/2013/10/napoleon_township_supervisor_d_1.html#incart_river_default
DIG OFFERS GLIMPSE INTO PIONEER LIFE
October 10, 2013 – BRIGHTON, MI – Jim Totten from the Livingston County Press & Argus reports on finds made by the sixth grade class from University Liggett at the historic Warner site. See article and photo gallery at http://www.livingstondaily.com/article/20131011/NEWS01/310110017/Dig-offers-glimpse-into-pioneer-life-gallery- A similar article also appeared in the Detroit Free press available at http://www.freep.com/article/20131011/NEWS06/310110151/brighton-township-dig-Archaeological-day-lansing
GEORGE W. DAVIS RECOGNIZED BY MICHIGAN ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY
April 21, 2013 – SAGINAW, MI – George Davis, a charter member of the Wright L. Coffinberry chapter, was recognized by the Michigan Archaeological Society at the annual spring meeting “for his lifetime commitment of support, service, and significant contributions to Michigan archaeology since 1951”. George has worked on a number of sites in Michigan and served in various capacities in the chapter and state society over the past six decades. Congratulations George!
PRESERVING THE COLLECTION OF A LIFETIME – MLIVE
February 17, 2013 – JACKSON, MI – Brad Flory discusses a large prehistoric collection of artifacts preserved by MAS member Dan Wymer. See full article at http://blog.mlive.com/bradosphere/2013/02/preserving_the_collection_of_a.html
THE BIG GAME HUNTING CONUNDRUM – MAMMOTH TRUMPET
Januaury 2013 – ANN ARBOR, MI – Dr. John Speth, Professor and Curator of North American Archaeology at the University of Michigan, discussed new theories regarding Paleoindians in an article in the latest issue of the Mammoth Trumpet. He will present his findings at the Huron Valley Chapter meeting this May. Click here to read the entire article. The Mammoth Trumpet is a publication of the Center for the Study of the First Americans, website located at http://www.centerfirstamericans.com/index.php.
BRIGHTON TOWNSHIP FARM ARTIFACTS PROVIDE LINK TO MAN’S ANCESTORS – DETROIT FREE PRESS
October 14, 2012 – BRIGHTON, MI – Jim Totten from the Livingston County Press & Argus reports on finds made at the Warner site, a historic farmstead dating to 1841. The farm was occupied by five generations of the Warner family for over 170 years. Artifacts from six seasons of fieldwork were on display and a presentation given on the finds at Archaeology Day. See the reprinted article in the Detroit Free Press at http://www.freep.com/article/20121014/NEWS06/310140138/Brighton-Township-farm-artifacts-provide-link-to-man-s-ancestors
MACKINAC STATE HISTORIC PARKS RELEASES LATEST VOLUME
August 14, 2012 – MACKINAW CITY, MI – Mackinac State Historic Parks is pleased to announce the latest volume in its Archaeological Completion Report Series: Culinary Creolization: Subsistence and Cultural Interaction at Fort Michilimackinac, 1730-1761, by Jenna K. Carlson. Carlson compares faunal assemblages from French households and ethnically mixed households to tease out different procurement strategies in the same environment. Available from Mackinac State Historic Parks. $48.95 + s/h www.mackinacparks.com
GOVERNOR RICK SNYDER ANNOUNCES REAPPOINTMENT OF RICHARD MICKA TO MICHIGAN HISTORICAL COMMISSION
May 14, 2012 – LANSING, MI – From the Historical Society of Michigan: “Micka retired as vice president of administration for LA-Z BOY Inc. after 36 years of service. He serves as a member of the Monroe County Chamber of Commerce, Monroe County Historical Society, Michigan Archaeological Society- River Raisin Chapter, Genealogical Society of Monroe County and on the leadership council for the Community Foundation of Monroe County. Micka served seven years in the U.S. Air Force and earned a bachelor’s degree in economics from the University of Detroit. He will represent the general public.”
FLINTKNAPPING – MICHIGAN ASSOCIATION KEEPS ANCIENT ART ALIVE
March 6, 2012 – PINCKNEY, MI – Huron Valley chapter president Bob Love gives an interview and flint knapping demonstration to community contributor reporter Rick Taylor. Bob is president of the Michigan Flintknappers Association which was founded twenty years ago. See the story at http://www.annarbor.com/passions-pursuits/flint-knapping-story/#.UCqCm6DNle-
DIVERS RETRIEVE PREHISTORIC WOOD FROM LAKE HURON – FROM SCIENCEDAILY
December 12, 2011 – ALPENA, MI – The Under the cold clear waters of Lake Huron, University of Michigan researchers have found a five-and-a-half foot-long, pole-shaped piece of wood that is 8,900 years old. The wood, which is tapered and beveled on one side in a way that looks deliberate, may provide important clues to a mysterious period in North American prehistory. Read the rest of the article at http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/12/111212221026.htm
TRAVERSE CORRIDOR: A PREHISTORIC CROSSROADS RESEARCHED BY CHARLES CLELAND – FROM RECORD-EAGLE
December 11, 2011 – TRAVERSE CITY, MI – Little was known about prehistoric northwestern lower Michigan in 1966, when anthropologist Charles Cleland and his college archaeology students started 40 summers of digging around.
Cleland, then a Michigan State University professor looking for field-study opportunities for his students, had a hypothesis. He postulated that a prehistoric "Traverse Corridor," stretching from the base of Grand Traverse Bay to the Mackinac Straits, was used by early Native Americans during their warm-season migrations thousands of years ago. Read the rest of the article at http://record-eagle.com/local/x1181957070/Traverse-Corridor-A-prehistoric-crossroads
WARNER HOMESTEAD LISTED ON NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES
September 15, 2011 – BRIGHTON TOWNSHIP, MI – The largely unmodified 1855 Greek Revival house that has served as the ancestral home to six generations of the Warner family has been given final approval by the National Parks Service for listing on the National Register of Historic Places. The property was first purchased by Timothy Warner, a pioneer from Livingston County, NY, in 1841. Members of the Warner family first arrived in Michigan in 1836 and have been active in the community in a variety of capacities beginning with naming of the town and township of Brighton. It is the only certified sesquicentennial farm in Brighton Township and one of four in Livingston County. Five seasons of archaeological excavation by Tim Bennett (a direct descendant) and his wife Kerry, along with many other volunteers has yielded thousands of artifacts that provide clues on changes in mid 19th through early 20th century agricultural lifestyles. The farm and family have been featured in periodicals such as Michigan History magazine (Nov/Dec 2009) and the Chronicle (Spring 2010). Tim and Kerry are avocational archaeologists currently serving as president and vice president of the MAS Saginaw Valley Chapter.
DR. WILLIAM LOVIS ANALYZES UPPER PENINSULA PALEOINDIAN BIFACE - FROM MSU NEWS
May 23, 2011 - EAST LANSING, MI — A 9,000-year-old cutting tool used by the earliest inhabitants of Michigan – recently donated to the Michigan State University Museum – sheds new light on the Paleoindian colonization of the Upper Peninsula, says an MSU anthropologist who analyzed the acquisition.
Found in Hermansville, this is the first reported Paleoindian biface – made from stone and used on both sides – found outside of Marquette County, according to Bill Lovis, professor of anthropology. Resident Dale Kenney found the biface while tilling his garden and a mutual friend brought it to the museum for further investigation. Hermansville is about 100 miles south of Marquette. Read the complete article at http://news.msu.edu/story/9409/.
DR. DAN FISHER AND DR. SCOTT BELD AWARDED THE 2011 GOVERNOR’S AWARD FOR HISTORIC PRESERVATION
May 2011 - Dr. Dan Fisher (Professor of Paleontology and Curator of the Museum of Paleontology at U of M) and Dr. Scott Beld (Research Specialist at U of M) were recently presented with the 2011 Governor’s Award for Historic Preservation at the State Capitol. The award recognized their work at the Riley Mammoth site near Saranac, MI. Read the complete article at http://www.sentinel-standard.com/features/x173158759/2011-Governor-s-Award-for-Historic-Preservation-Riley-s-receive-mammoth-award
Victor Kietzman Jr, former member of the Saginaw Valley Chapter, passed away on January 18, 2014. He was 57 years old. He retired from General Motors after 29 years of service. Victor enjoyed fishing, woodworking and spending time with his family, especially his grandchildren. His complete obituary is at http://obits.mlive.com/obituaries/flint/obituary.aspx?pid=169192708
Janice Pearson, former member of the Huron Valley Chapter, passed away on July 27, 2013. She was 52 years old. Janice received a master’s degree from Leicester University. Her master’s thesis was written on a microarchaeology of the Perlick farm owned by her uncle. The farm recently received centennial certification and an article she wrote on its history was published in the Chronicle. Janice enjoyed outdoor activities such as kayaking and volunteered her time at a number of sites in Michigan. Her obituary is at http://obits.mlive.com/obituaries/annarbor/obituary.aspx?pid=166136082.
Dr. David Stothers, former member of the River Raisin Chapter, passed away on February 8, 2013. Dr. Stothers was a retired Professor of Anthropology at the University of Toledo where he taught for 38 years and was director of the Western Lake Erie Archaeological Research Program. He received a lifetime achievement award from the Archaeological Society of Ohio in August 2012. A memorial service will be held on Wednesday 6:00 to 8:00 PM at the Phonescie Greek Restraunt which is located at the Student Union at the University of Toledo Second floor.
Robert E. Haltiner, 80, of Alpena, died Tuesday February 14, 2012 at Tendercare Alpena. Bob was born June 29, 1931 in Alpena to Robert Gerald (Elsie (Miller) Haltiner and graduated from Alpena High School as Salutatorian, class of 1949.t He was in the US Army from 1952 -1954, serving as Chief non-commissioned officer in charge of Special Orders, Headquarters United States Army, Europe – Heidelberg, Germany. With his father he owned and operated Haltiner’s Hall of Ancient Man. Bob’s list of achievements was long and varied, including; founding member of the Coffinberry Chapter of the Michigan Archaeological Society, Grand Rapids, MI, member & Board of Directors of Michigan Museums’ Association, founding member of Thunder Bay Island Preservation Society, Thunder Bay Underwater Preserve, the Alpena Historical Society, a member of the Advisory Council for NOAA’s Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary, Alpena City Historical District Study Committee, the US 23 Heritage Highway Committee and various state and national archaeological organizations. He was the Curator of the Jesse Besser Museum for over 30 years establishing most of their major collections. Bob was Past President and Vice President and long-time member of the Board of Directors of Thunder Bay Theater. A prolific writer, Bob wrote 11 books pertaining to Alpena and NE Michigan, publishing nine of them himself. He also wrote stories and articles for various state and national publications. Surviving are his sister, Lyola Sharp of Holt, MI and a number of nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by a sister, Charmian DeRosia.
Alpena County Library will host a reception in celebration of the life of Robert E. Haltiner on Sunday April 1, 2012 from 1:00-4:00 pm. There will be a brief program followed by refreshments and time to socialize which is open to the public. On display will be Haltiner’s books and some photos of early Alpena. McWilliams Funeral Home – Alpena was chosen to assist the family. Memorial donations may be made to the Alpena County Library, Jesse Besser Museum or the Huron Humane Society. Please visit Bob’s personal web page at www.lifestorynet.com where you may share a memory or sign the on-line guest book.
George Hebert, member of the Saginaw Valley Chapter, passed away on August 27, 2011. George had served as an officer in the Army Air Corps during WWII and afterwards took a job as a business news reporter in 1946. He later became editor in 1971. George enjoyed archaeology and worked on a number of excavations in Virginia and most recently helped at the chapter dig on the Waterous Site in Grand Blanc, MI. He was 90 years old. His obituary is at http://nelson-house.com/obituaries.htm.
Frank Lafferty, current president of the Clinton Valley chapter, passed away on March 26, 2011 after battling an illness. Viewing will be at McCabe Funeral Home located at 31950 W 12 Mile Rd, Farmington Hills, 48334 (248-553-0120) on Tuesday from 1-8. Service is Wednesday at 11 AM with burial following at Oakland Hills Cemetery at 12 Mile and Novi Rds. A luncheon at 2 PM will be at Nikola's on Telegraph just north of 10 Mile.
Charlie Rinehart, member of the Upper Grand Valley chapter, passed away on January 23, 2011 at the age of 48. Charlie attended and graduated from Mason Public Schools and received his Bachelor of Arts degree from Alma College and his Master's from the University of South Carolina. He worked as an archaeologist for the University of South Carolina for 5 years. He had most recently been employed as a Senior Archaeologist with the Louis Berger Company since 1994.
George Geib, member of the Coffinberry chapter, passed away on January 13, 2011 at the age of 67 after a lengthy battle with cancer. A long time member of the MAS, he also served as chapter secretary for seventeen years. He especially enjoyed spending his free time doing archaeological research at Charlton Park.
Harold Thompson, member of the Saginaw Valley chapter, passed away peacefully on Sunday December 6, 2009 at Covenant Hospital's Harrison campus following a lengthy illness. "Little Harold" was born on December 18,1924 in Saginaw to Harold E. Thompson and Dora Mae (Collison) . He was only twelve days shy of his 85th birthday. Harold grew up on Saginaw's east side, except for a short residence on the west side of the river where he visited the old Butman-Fish Library as a youngster and saw a local archaeological collection which was on display. Harold was interested in raising Beagles, hunting and fishing, gardening and horticulture. Harold entered the US Army in March of 1943 and served until April of 1946. He served in the European Theater during WWII and seen action in France, Belgium, Holland and Germany while with the 99th Infantry Battalion (Separate) of the 474th Infantry Regiment. Afterwards he was sent to Norway. It was there he met Aase Marie Anderson, a member of the Norwegian Underground and with the help of the Red Cross was able to bring his future wife to the States. They were married in Saginaw, Michigan on March 29,1947. Before leaving Norway his battalion was honored by the Norwegian government with a ceremony and letter of appreciation for the Liberation of Norway The letter was signed by the King of Norway and the ceremony hosted by the Crown Prince. Later in life he renewed his interest in archaeology and local history. He served many terms as Treasurer of the Michigan Archaeological Society and was a member of its Saginaw Valley Chapter since the 1960's. As an avocational archaeologist he volunteered on many local "digs" conducted by universities and volunteered his time to do archaeological surveys in Michigan's Thumb, depositing the information with the Michigan Department of State's History Division. He was the author of many archaeological reports and acquired an extensive research library. In 1997 Harold received The Citizen's Preservation Award from the Michigan Historical Preservation Network. This award was given in recognition for lifetime achievement in documenting and protecting the archaeological heritage of Tuscola County. That same year he was awarded the Hon. Ira W. Butterfield Award of the Conference on Michigan Archaeology which recognized his contributions to Michigan as an avocational archaeologist. At that time he was interviewed by the Saginaw News. After his wife Aase suffered a stroke in 1982, he retired from Malleable Iron Foundry where he had been employed for over 30 years, to became her primary care giver until her death on August 11,1993. He was also predeceased by his brother Allen Henry "Bill" Thompson. He is survived by his daughter Anna Mae Maday and son-in-law James Maday. He is also survived by nephews and nieces Cindy, Scott, Chris, Holly and Trent. Also mourning his loss will be his special friend Marion Johengen and her family from Tuscola County, as well as the many friends he made throughout the Thumb and the archaeological community.
Robert Hard, of Fenton, passed away Tuesday, October 23, 2007. Bob was born January 27, 1916 in Coopersville, Michigan the son of Ray and Vera (Irvine) Hard. He married Geraldine Harmon on February 18, 1940 in Saginaw. Bob was a graduate of GMI-Flint, earned a bachelor's degree at Western Michigan and a master's degree from University of Michigan. He retired from the U.S. Navy after 30 years service, mostly in the reserves and the U.S. Coast Guard after 15 years. Bob was employed by A.C. Spark Plug for 38 years, as a Senior Production Engineer, until his retirement in 1974. He was active in the Boy Scouts of America, Sea Cadets Program, Historical Society of Fenton and Tyrone Township, Archeology and Paleontology Societies of Michigan, Professional Ski Instructors of America, National Ski Patrol and Special Olympics. Bob was a Special Olympics International Coach for the 1989 winter games in Squaw Valley, California. He was an avid sailor, skier, and traveler with a boundless curiosity of the world. Bob and Geri traveled extensively to Europe, Africa, Asia and Central America, Australia and most of North America and Mexico, often taking grandchildren with them. He is mourned by his loving wife of 67 years, Geri; son, David Hard (Donna) of Michigan, Janice Cook (Thomas) of Fife Lake, Victoria Hard of Newport Richey; beloved grandfather of 10; great-grandfather of 18; brother to Allan Hard (Dorothy) of Tuscaloosa, Al and Loren Hard (Peggy) of Coopersville. He was preceded in death by his parents.
Robert R. Clunie passed away suddenly Saturday, May 27, 2006 in Saginaw, Michigan. Since the early 1970s, Bob was an active member of the Saginaw Valley Chapter of the Michigan Archaeological Society, serving several terms as Treasurer and Vice President of the Chapter. Bob was also an avid hunter and fisherman and was a charter member of the Saginaw Valley Steelheaders Association. He proudly served in the United States Navy during WW II and he worked as a machine repairman for General Motors for 35 years before retiring in 1985.
One of Bob’s earliest forays into the field of archaeology occurred in 1953 after his wife noticed that his son and young brother had red stains on their hands and clothing after playing in the sand near his home. Upon investigating, Bob located a red ocher cache containing turkey tails, triangular bifaces, stone and copper celts, abraders and several copper beads. The “Clunie Cache”, as it became known, was loaned to the Great Lakes division of the University of Michigan Museum of Anthropology for study. U of M later conducted archaeological excavations at the site.
Bob's dedication and involvement in local archaeology were extraordinary. Starting in the late 1980s he participated in dozens of survey and excavation projects throughout Michigan. He was especially involved in work conducted in the Tobico Marsh area of Bay County by the University of Michigan and Saginaw Valley State University, and in the archaeological work carried out in the Shiawassee National Wildlife Refuge by the Historical Society of Saginaw County. Bob could always be counted on to lend a hand whenever things needed to get done, and if a projectile point or other diagnostic artifact was to be found at a site, you could bet that Bob would be the one to find it. More than one of his coworkers can recall fruitlessly screening sediment, only to have Bob walk up to the screen and pick out an artifact. In addition to the many field projects in which he participated, in 1988 Bob began volunteering in the archaeology laboratory at the Castle Museum of Saginaw County History.
Bob not only enjoyed learning about archaeology, he loved to share his passion with others. Wherever he went Bob would strike up conversations, often with total strangers. These conversations invariably led to archaeology, frequently resulting in new information about sites or collections from the area. Bob was especially fond of sharing his love of archaeology with kids. For several years he assisted fellow MAS members Ron Burk and Mike Mauer in providing a hands on archaeology experience for elementary and middle school students. Bob also regularly displayed and talked about his “Clunie cache” and other artifacts for families attending the spring “Timberdoodle Festival” at Hartley Outdoor Education Center.
Bob was a great communicator, but his talents lie more with the spoken word than with the written. Following one of the archaeological field schools he assisted with at Tobico Marsh, Bob was (jokingly) presented with an award for the “cleanest” notebook. He had a tremendous sense of humor. Although archaeological work can sometimes be tedious, Bob always kept it fun with a seemingly endless supply of some of the best stories ever. He talked about growing up in Saginaw, his service during WW II and his years in the shop. A common thread through many of his stories was the various practical jokes and other shenanigans in most of which he seems to have had a direct hand.
Bob will be greatly missed and long remembered by his many friends.
Lawrence Dorothy, died in Kalamazoo on November 6, 2005, after a long illness. Larry was a founding member of the Kalamazoo Valley Chapter of the Michigan Archaeological Society, and was active in the state society as well. His involvement in the MAS on the state level included a term as president in 1978. He received the Ira Butterfield Award presented by the Conference on Michigan Archaeology in 1998.
All of Larry’s archaeological activities were guided by a view of the avocational archaeologist as an important contributor to archaeology as a whole, often adding a dimension that might not be otherwise accessible to archaeological research. This view stemmed from the activities of the Kalamazoo Valley Chapter which throughout its more than thirty year existence focused on locating, testing, and reporting sites in southwestern lower Michigan. The chapter was established in 1966 by Dr. Elizabeth B. Garland when she arrived at Western Michigan University to begin research in a region where the archaeology was essentially unknown. Members of the chapter knew the area well, and thus were able to contribute substantially to long-term research in the region. Chapter members in turn received the opportunity to develop their archaeological skills through working with Garland and WMU students, and through taking courses in prehistory at the university. Larry Dorothy was one who took full advantage of this opportunity, and in so doing proved the importance of being a knowledgeable participant in assembling a regional database.
Larry was 50 years old when he enrolled as a student at Western Michigan University in 1967. At the time, Larry was a retired Warrant Officer in the U.S. Navy, a former journalist and publisher, and a restorer of rental properties. But, Larry started at WMU because he always wanted to go to college. After completing a B.A. in anthropology, he went on to obtain an M.A. in anthropology in 1978. Larry’s master’s thesis was on the ceramics from the Sand Point site (1978, 1980). This important primarily Late Woodland site in Baraga County was excavated by archaeologists from Western Michigan University after it was brought to their attention by Larry Dorothy himself, who was in contact with members of the Upper Peninsula Chapter of the MAS. In the case of Sand Point, Larry was the liaison between amateurs and professionals and was able to demonstrate the significance of this site to both groups.
Chapter activities and MAS responsibilities were taken seriously. Larry, along with Kalamazoo Valley Chapter members George and Maxine Spero and Alice Noecker, published a summary of chapter excavations at the mainly Middle Woodland Armintrout-Blackman site (1991). Again, collaboration with professional archaeologists was evident in the fact that the site was also the focus of a WMU field school, and the lithics were the subject of a master’s thesis. A full site report was prepared, and along with notes and collections, was deposited at the university in keeping with a commitment to properly preserve the data. Larry conducted a survey of the Portage River, which resulted in a 1981 report co-authored by Elizabeth Garland. In 1996, George and Maxine Spero, and Larry Dorothy reported on an extensive surface collection found during a 1973 survey of the Kalamazoo River drainage. The description of this important collection was Larry’s final contribution to formal archaeological research, but he continued to maintain an active interest in archaeology and to enrich the lives of all who knew him.
Dr. Margaret "Peggy" Holman passed away on Tuesday, April 18, 2006. At the 2006 Annual Meeting the following resolution was passed unanimously.
A Resolution Submitted To: The
Editorship of The Michigan Archaeologist
Contributions in her memory may be made
to: The Michigan Archeological Society
Support the Fort!